Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hopefully Some Useful Discussion to Avoid Tragedy

I'm kind of tired of posting the same thing on Facebook over and over.  So I am going to say them here and link back if I feel it's necessary.  This is not going to be complete.  It would be so long, nobody would read it.  It is more of a jumping off point.  If you want to discuss further, then by all means, comment below.  If you don't, well don't.  I only ask that if you do, you keep it civil.  On an issue like this, at a time like this, emotions can run high.  Everyone feels like the other side doesn't get it.  Everyone needs to remember that the person on the other side of the discussion is not evil.  They are just trying to do what they think is right.  They are approaching it from a different viewpoint based on their beliefs and their personal experiences, not from a position of malice.  OK, disclaimer out of the way, so let's get to it.

I think there is some sort of misconception.  It seems that there are folks out there who think that people like myself, who enjoy shooting guns for fun, are looking to remove all gun restrictions and are hoping that one day we will get called upon to fend off an army of criminals so we can straight up murder people's asses.

I have zero interest in actually shooting someone.  I like to shoot.  I have a concealed carry permit.  I don't carry, but I have one for practical purposes.  I like shooting different guns and different calibers.  I am OK with preventing individuals who have a reasonable chance of harming someone from owning a gun.  I have started teaching my kids how to shoot a BB gun.  I want them to understand guns.  To understand their inherent dangers and how to properly be around and handle guns.  How to treat a gun, especially an unfamiliar one.  To learn good habits at a relatively young age so they take hold and become habit.  I am willing to discuss "real" gun control as long as your definition of "real" is not solely comprised of the outright ban of guns.  What I am not willing to do is tolerate people who have never fired a gun, have no understanding of how firearms work, the differences in the various calibers or the actual ballistics involved in a bullet impacting a target trying to tell me what type of gun is "legitimate" for a civilian to own.

People who do not understand that a .223 round fired from a bolt action "hunting rifle" (H/R) and a semi-automatic "assault rifle" (A/R) have the same terminal ballistics, lecturing me on what gun is appropriate or inappropriate to have, angers me.  People who don't understand that a pistol grip, a collapsible stock, a heat shield, a bayonet lug or accessory rails do not make an A/R do more damage than a similarly chambered H/R lecturing me on what my gun should look like irritate me.  Do they enhance the overall effectiveness of a weapon?  Of course they do.  Otherwise the military would not issue them, but they are more about ergonomics for the soldier than making it deadlier.  If I hand you 100 rounds of .223 and have you shoot them from a H/R and hand you another 100 rounds and shoot them from a A/R you will find that the A/R does not kill at a statistically significant higher ratio than a H/R using the same ammunition.

Now, if you want to talk about a semi-automatic action being unnecessary?  Bring it.  You want to talk about limiting the capacity of magazines?  I would love to have that conversation as well.  Talk about the ineffectiveness of the mental health portion of the background checks?  Great topic that is finally getting some notice.  The ability to buy a firearm at a gun show without a background check?  Happy to oblige. Talk about the possibility that the people who commit acts like mass shootings only do it to become famous (or infamous)?  Just because Morgan Freeman didn't actually say it doesn't make it any less valid.  Let's talk about things that might make an actual difference instead of banning weapons because of a knee-jerk reaction to cosmetic crap.

Now that I have said my peace, feel free to say yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment